Medical Center EMS SORT
The expressed and designed purposes of this simulation are as follows:
(1) Provide an introduction to, and understanding of, the law enforcement and emergency medical response to an active shooter event.
(2) Provide an understanding of the difference between “immediate threat” and “zone of diminishing threat”.
(3) Demonstrate the component roles and responsibilities of an active shooter mass casualty incident response.
(4) Define and demonstrate the role of a law enforcement “contact team”.
(5) Define and demonstrate the role of a law enforcement “rescue team”.
(6) Define and demonstrate the roles of “perimeter security” and an “evacuation assistance” teams.
(7) Define and demonstrate “zones of diminishing threat”, including hot zone, warm zone, safety corridor, safety zone and cold zone.
(8) Provide an introduction to the Incident Command System.
(9) Demonstrate use of the SMART Triage system.
(10) Allow participants to function in the component roles during a simulated active shooter mass casualty incident.
(11) Demonstrate and allow participants to utilize new and innovative equipment and tools.